Living on the South Shore
The South Shore and its diverse communities have a lot to offer whether you have lived here all your life or you are just moving to the area.
In order to make life a little easier and enjoyable for you and your family, Ryan has included links to some of the wonderful places and things to do that make living here so special.
Towns and Communities
- Town of Bridgewater
- Bridgewater is a thriving town straddling the LaHave River. Known as the “Main Street of the South Shore”, Bridgewater offers visitors numerous services and conveniences including restaurants, accommodations, a bustling mall, banks, hospital, museums, recreational facilities and a visitor information center.
- Town of Lunenburg
- The Town of Lunenburg, in Nova Scotia, Canada, was formally established in 1753 as the first British Colonial settlement in Nova Scotia outside of Halifax. A vibrant and stable economy was built on farming, fishing, ship building and ocean-based commerce, particularly in the West Indies trade. More than 200 years in fishing, ship-building and marine related industries has provided Lunenburg with a strong economic base.
- Town of Mahone Bay
- Mahone Bay is considered one of the most beautiful towns in Eastern Canada. Situated on a bay of more than 100 islands, it is a treasury of history, culture and 19th century architecture. The charming main street hosts an assortment of art galleries, shops and living museums – all within an easy stroll.
- Municipality of the District of Chester
- Rich in tradition and hospitality, Chester, is less than an hour’s drive from Halifax, Chester is a historic seaside village known for sailing, golf, stately summer getaways, studios, galleries and more.
- Chester Bound
- A terrific website for all the events, goings on and links to everything in the Village of Chester.
- Region of Queens
- The website for the Region of Queens. Services, business and other information about living, and working and more.
- Queens County
- Queens County “The South Shore’s Great Experience” is located just 90 minutes from Halifax or Yarmouth along Hwy 103 or Annapolis Valley via Route 8 Kejimkujik Scenic Drive.Queens County offers something unique for everyone! Plenty of free parking, friendly service, no traffic hassles, fine dining and a cozy hometown atmosphere!
- Lunenburg Queens Business Directory
- Maintained by the Lunenburg Queens Regional Development Assocition, it contains a vast number of business and services in the area.
- The Bridgewater Development Association
- The Bridgewater Development Association – is committed to marketing the attributes of the Town of Bridgewater to the existing community as well as to businesses and individuals that have been identified as potential new members to our community.
- Bridgewater and Area Chamber of Commerce
- To be the principal voice for business in the Bridgewater area, to foster an economic climate that enhances growth, prosperity and an improved quality of life
- Chester Municipal Chamber of Commerce
- The Chester Municipal Chamber of Commerce will promote the interests of its members by acting as the collective voice of business in all areas of the Municipality of Chester.
Learning and Education
- Nova Scotia Community College – Lunenburg Campus
- Building Nova Scotia’s economy and quality of life through education and innovation, programs at the Lunenburg Campus represent the following Academic Schools: Access; Business; Health and Human Services; and Trades and Technology.
- Nova Scotia Community College – Shelburne Campus
- The Shelburne Campus is located just outside the historic town of Shelburne. As the smallest campus in the College, faculty and staff are committed to providing a quality applied education and skills training environment that will prepare graduates for employment in today’s high competitive market. Labs, classrooms and shop areas utilize state-of-the art equipment and the latest technologies.
- CKBW FM 98.1
- The South Shore’s own commercial radio station broadcasting from Bridgewater offers diverse music, news and event listings daily.
Recreation and Living
- Osprey Ridge Golf Club Bridgewater
- Osprey Ridge Golf Club is a par 72, championship course opened on May 16, 1998. The course was designed by Graham Cooke. Osprey Ridge was nominated by Golf Digest for best new course in Canada in 1999.
- Bluenose Golf Club Lunenburg
- The Bluenose Golf Course is located across the harbour from Lunenburg, one of Nova Scotia’s most historic and beautiful towns. Many of the golf course’s holes and the clubhouse offer some of the best known views of this well known fishing village and UNESCO World Heritage Site. The course, although short in yardage, provides lots of challenges for the golfer, with rolling and sloping fairways, small greens, and well placed bunkers and trees.
- Chester Golf Club
- Chester Golf Club has one of the most attractive layouts in the province and offers a good test to players of all skill levels. The view alone is worth the green fee.
- Liverpool Golf Club
- The Liverpool/White Point Golf & Country Club has been called one of Nova Scotia’s most scenic courses. This 9-hole /par 35 course offers plenty of challenge and panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and White Point Beach Resort. The course offers majestic ocean views on four of the holes with two holes located near a freshwater pond used for recreational purposes by the resort.
- River Hills Golf Club Clyde River
- The course will take you along the beautiful Clyde River, through wooded hills with many spectacular views. The new five holes (across the road) are beautifully landscaped with ponds and lined with magnificent rock walls. This is truly a course that can be enjoyed by golfers of all ages.
- Chester Yacht Club
- The Chester Yacht Club is located on Mahone Bay which is along the South Shore. The Bay is dotted with many Islands (some say one for every day of the year) which makes for beautiful sailing and boating of all kinds. August’s Race Week is the highlight of the season. The 2006 Race Week runs from August 16th to 19th.
- Lunenburg Yacht Club
- Nestled on picturesque Herman’s Island between Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, the Lunenburg Yacht Club promotes boating and seamanship and fosters a spirit of good fellowship.
- Bridgewater Curling Club
- The Bridgewater club is extremely active with one of the largest memberships in the province. We are a four sheet club with numerous amenities including one of the first on ice video systems to be seen in Atlantic Canada.
- Chester Curling Club
- The club is part of the Eleanor Pew Morris Memorial Recreation Complex located on Pig Loop Road.
- Desbrisay Museum Bridgewater
- Located on Jubilee Road in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, the DesBrisay Museum is home to one of Canada’s oldest historical museum collections, started in the 1880s by Judge Mather Byles DesBrisay (1828-1900). It has operated as a public community history museum since 1902 and is owned by the Town of Bridgewater.
Leave a Reply